Disciple's Life Part 6
- Trent Kirkland
- Mar 29, 2015
A Spiritual parent has been parented by someone else.
2 Timothy 2:2
Spiritual parents should eventually see spiritual grand kids.
2 Timothy 2:2
Spiritual parents are critical for a disciple making church.
What does a Spiritual Parent look like?
- Intentional about building relationships so discipleship can happen.
- Reproduce the process they have learned as a disciple.
- Able to feed themselves spiritually on God's word.
- Work within a team of disciples, acknowledging that they don't possess all a disciple needs to be well rounded.
How can we identify a Spiritual Parent?
- "A guy at work asked me to explain the Bible to him. Pray with me."
- "We get to baptize someone from our Life Group. We're excited to help them get plugged into ministry somewhere."
- "Our Life Group is going on mission, and I have given everyone a specific task to do."
- "I realize discipleship happens at home too. Will you hold me accountable to spending time discipling my kids?"
What does a Spiritual Parent need?
- Ongoing relationships with other disciple-makers
- A church family-discipling people as part of a team
- Peer accountability and encouragement
What spiritual habit does a Spiritual Parent need?
- Making Disciples
When you are in a relationship with someone who is a spiritual parent they need you to release them to DISCIPLE...
- Explain the disciple-making process
- Release to disciple another with help
- Release to disciple alone
What characteristics do you need to develop in order to be ready to be a spiritual parent?
In What areas are you most ready to be a spiritual parent?
To make disciples, we must first be disciples. Therefore, ask yourself...
- Who am I discipling to follow Jesus?
- What is my intentional plan for helping them grow through the stages?
- Who in my life is encouraging and challenging me to keep growing as a disciple-maker?