Discipleship Part 3: Spiritual Infant
- Trent Kirkland
- Mar 8, 2015
A spiritual infant knows it. Colossians 1:13
A Spiritual infant shows it. 1 Peter 2:1-2
What does a Spiritual Infant look like?
- Ignorance... concerning biblical truth
- Confusion... about how to develop the habits of a disciple
- Dependence... on others for spiritual growth
This is not a BAD thing. It's simply a reality at this stage.
How can we identify a Spiritual Infant?
The "Phrase from the Stage"
- "Why do I need to go to Church Regularly?"
- "I've been hurt by others, so it's just me and God. I don't need people."
- "If I pray and read my Bible, will be good enough to get to heaven?"
- "I provide for my family. I don't have time for church."
- "What should I do about my old friends who don't believe?"
- "I am not sure I believe what the Bible says about that."
- "I believe in Jesus, but is karma real too?"
What do Spiritual Infants need?
1 Thessalonians 2:6-8
- Personal attention from a disciple-making parent.
- Care and Protection
- Teaching and Modeling new truth
- to develop New Habits that become rhythms they learn to live by
What is God teaching you and what are you going to do about it? When you are in a relationship with someone who is a spiritual infant they need you to SHARE with them....
- Share your life... regular time is critical
- Share new truth... use good dicipleship resources (Note: Good resources get you into the Word)
- Share new habits... teach though modeling (Bible reading, prayer, sharing the gospel, church involvement)
In what ways are you currently SHARING with a spiritual infant?
To make disciples, we must first be desciples. Therefore, ask yourself....
- How am I being changed by Jesus through His word?
- How am I growing in my intimacy and dependence on Jesus through prayer?
- Who am I helping to grow in this stage as a disciple?